Old November 28th 07, 12:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J.[_2_] Richard J.[_2_] is offline

Default London PA Voice Emma Clarke F ired for Slamming Tube

Boltar wrote:
On Nov 26, 11:21 pm, "Rev. CMOT TMPV"
wrote:
London PA Voice Fired for Slamming Tube
November 26, 2007 12:39 PM EST

LONDON - The woman behind the gentle, even voice which warns
London's subway commuters to "Mind the gap" was fired after telling
a newspaper she thought the transit network was dreadful.

Not many people could get away with publically slagging off the
company they do contract work for, even if in jest, and not get the
boot. She was rather naive IMO.

No, it's people who believed the Mail on Sunday who were naive. It's worth
reading her blog entry at
http://www.emmaclarke.com/blogs/2007...as-like-for-me
which includes this:
" I told him the thought of being in a tube carriage, hearing nothing but my
voice would be a dreadful experience for me, sitting with strangers who were
all wishing I'd shut up and give them some peace. I said it's a bit like
when I ring a company only to discover my voice on the on-hold system
telling me to 'press 3 for accounts' or like being woken up by my radio
alarm broadcasting a commercial I've recorded about pre-Christmas
ample-free-parking retail opportunities. Hearing one's own voice slammed
full in one's face is a disconcerting experience, let me tell you.

But that isn't what was published in the press. ... The piece said that I
thought tube trains were 'dreadful' and that I avoided them 'at all costs'.
It also alleged my experience of the tube was practically trauma-inducing."

Apparently TfL haven't bothered to contact Emma. They are prepared to
"fire" someone on the strength of a Mail on Sunday report, or copies of it
that other gullible media have repeated. Disgraceful.
--
Richard J.