Old November 28th 07, 10:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london, uk.railway
Stephen Furley Stephen Furley is offline

Default LT Museum Reopens

On 27 Nov, 02:56, David of Broadway
wrote:

I also thought of Aldwych, but Aldwych only has one track (correct?), and
new lifts would need to be installed to provide access (which I believe
was the reason it closed in 1994 in the first place).

There are a couple of similarities between Aldwych and Court Street,
the location of the Brooklyn museum. Both are the terminus of a short
line which operated as a shuttle service, but the stations themselves
are very different. Aldwych is a deep-level tube station, with only
a small ticket office at street level. Underground, and it's down a
lot of steps, there's one quite short platform, in a small diameter
bored tunnel, and the long-disused one which I've never actually seen,
but would imagine is quite similar. There are some very small,
cramped connecting passages. Court Street has nothing at Street
level, but a large mezzanine level reached by a short flight of stairs
from the street entrance. This level is used for the ticket office,
and the smaller exhibits, some of which are quite large; I think there
may also be a small lecture theatre, but I'm not sure. Down another
short flight of stairs is the platform level, with a wide island
platform with Subway vehicles, larger than our surface stock ones,
exhibited on the tracks on both sides. As is typical of New York the
platforms are considerably longer than is normal in London. I think
it would be difficult to use Aldwych as a museum site.