Old December 2nd 07, 10:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Michael R N Dolbear Michael R N Dolbear is offline

Default Bus timetables from the TfL Journey Planner

MIG wrote

On Dec 2, 8:13 pm, "Richard J." wrote:

For many journeys, the JP will offer a bewildering variety of

routes, many
dependent on infrequent services. That means that if one

connection is
missed because of a late-running service, you're stuffed. I've

even seen
some routes in central London that are dependent on bus services

that are
not only infrequent but also are non-TfL and on which Travelcards

are not
valid!

The type of recommendation that most people want is a route that

offers a
reasonably fast route (compared with the fastest possible) with not

too many
changes and on which there is a frequent service. You can then

choose that
route with confidence even if you're a few minutes adrift from your

target
start time. The Journey Planner is sadly hopeless at meeting that

common
requirement.

So give the JP people some feedback and ask for a ranking of routes by
"most robust" based on the frequencies and/or recent punctuality data
of each service used ?

Could make the output even more confusing if JP is also to give the
cost and rank by cost if asked as suggested elsethread.

Also, although Paul is right about the surprising elegance of some of
the routes it comes up with, it doesn't allow me to, say, plan how to
visit a particular shop or meet someone on the way which happens to

be
on a route that takes ten minutes longer than the ideal one it's
selling me. Simple timetables would allow me to plan such things at

glance.

Huh ?

select "via", why don't you ?

Of course if you haven't decided where to meet up you are being a bit
unfair.

If you want to shop rather than meet someone then :-

{SE JP} Buttons below the summary allow you to plan a return journey
between the same two locations - just set the date and time you want to
travel back.

Or you can plan an onward journey from your original destination. Just
click the onward journey button and set the next destination (and date
and time) you want to
carry on your journey.

--
Mike D