Old November 8th 03, 10:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Iain Iain is offline

Default Closure of Liverpool Street this morning

Paul Corfield wrote in
:

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 21:43:47 +0100, "Nicholas F Hodder"
wrote:

[big snip]
How can the trains clear the backlog if they are going through the
station without stopping?

of course the trains were stopping. They just weren't letting anyone
*into* the station. That way the queue on the platform is
progressively cleared. The station was only closed for 6 minutes
according to the report that I read.

Having just come across this thread after being away from usenet for a
couple of weeks, I can say with 100% certainty that westbound Central
Line trains were *not* stopping at Liverpool Street that morning. I know
this, because I was on one of those trains.

At Bethnal Green the driver came on the PA to say that he apologised for
the short notice but he'd only just been informed that he wasn't to stop
at Liverpool Street due to overcrowding. When we got into Liverpool
Street station the train did come to a halt for about 30-45 seconds, but
the doors weren't opened. The platform was rather full, although not
ridiculously so, and passengers already on the train could quite clearly
hear the station's recorded announcement being repeated, telling
passengers to vacate the station immediately due to an emergency.

Despite this, most people were still standing on the platform, waiting
(in vain) for the doors of the train I was on to open. Dunno what would
have happened if there had been a real emergency.

Iain
--
"I go online sometimes but everyone's spelling is really bad. It's
depressing." --Tara, Buffy 5x15 "I Was Made To Love You"