Old December 9th 07, 01:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default Mobile Phone Coverage (was St P.I..L.L Impressions.)

"Martin Krieger" wrote in message
but then commuters don't expect mobile phone reception in any another
below ground station

I find this very astonishing. In other parts of the world mobile phone
coverage of underground lines has been custom for years. The operators
have installed several transmitters (e.g. here
http://www.fst-gsm.de/d1-u-bahn.html is a list for one operator in
Cologne, Germany. The other 3 German operators have similar equipment). It
works.

As far as I know the phone operators pays the transport company (KVB) a
rent - so KVB gets more revenue and improves service at the same time.

Of course, the London underground network is much, much larger. But even
then I find it hard to understand why it is that difficult there.

They used the 'security threat' excuse on LU didn't they? And now they have
to have a trial to see if the technology will work - 'not invented here'
springs to mind...

Paul