Old December 10th 07, 06:48 PM posted to uk.railway, uk.transport, uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default New DLR station opened today

On 10 Dec, 19:11, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Mon, 10 Dec 2007, Stuart wrote:
Got to keep the map makers and train painters in business somehow!

I noticed a cunning trick yesterday: the strip maps on the Jubilee
(probably other lines too, but i haven't checked) have been updated to
show the Overground interchanges. However, there was a sticker over Canada
Water. Already, i thought? Then i realised - the strip maps will have been
printed not showing ELL interchange at Canada Water, and stickers added to
show it. When the ELL closes, they just pull them off and have a nice neat
strip map that shows the then-current situation. It's also possible that
the underlying map shows Overground interchange at ELL, and the stickers
will be replaced with new stickers that show no interchange for the
duration of the works, which will then be removed when the line reopens.

Incidentally, i noticed the Overground shade of orange seems to be
different to the ELL one. I assumed they'd be the same. Oh well, only
matters for a couple of weeks now!

Someone remind me - why is the ELL closing for three years?

Tis two years - the plan is to have the ELLX open in December 2009
(i.e. when the railway timetables change).

I have thought this too - sure, there are big works to be done
(flyover at New Cross Gate, station and bridge at Shoreditch High St,
ramp - already half-built - up from Whitechapel, etc etc), but on the
face of it they don't need the existing ELL to close...

However I think the plan might involves materials being transported by
rail from the Silwood Triangle works site, and perhaps from restored
link(s) with the main lines at either New Cross or New Cross Gate or
both - of course the latter will have a permanent connection when
through ELLX services start running, though perhaps the former is an
easier place for works trains to access from the rest of the network.