Old December 12th 07, 07:17 PM posted to uk.railway, uk.transport, uk.transport.london
Andy Andy is offline

Default New DLR station opened today

On Dec 12, 6:21 pm, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Wed, 12 Dec 2007, Andy wrote:
On Dec 11, 3:37 am, Mizter T wrote:
On 11 Dec, 00:01, "John Rowland"

wrote:
Mizter T wrote:

That said, it will become a far more critical bit of London's
transport infrastructure when it becomes part of the ELLX, so I guess
it's worth getting everything right first time round during this
closure and making sure all the works are done to a very high
standard.

But this isn't first time around! The ELL was closed for three years not
long ago, when conversion to third rail and use of NR rolling stock etc was
already inevitable.

Yes, I was aware of that though I didn't mention it. One would think
that any major remedial works were done then - the Thames Tunnel was
certainly 'dealt with', though the shotcrete treatment wasn't to the
liking of conservationists, which is of course why the line was closed
for so much longer than originally anticipated (and of course you know
this all already, but I'm just setting the scene for the audience!).

I'd be most interested in seeing a break-down of the works.

One other point to consider is what stock would be operating the line if
it reopened in 9 months (for example) time? Don't forget that the
conversion to National Rail standards with 3rd rail electrification
would rule out the use of A-stock

Oh, like how LU stock can't run to Richmond or Watford? I can't see why
there would be any problem putting in an earth-bonded fourth rail to
sustain the service until it becomes fully Overgrounded.

Probably quite doable, but how do the trains get onto the line?

and there would be no connection back onto the LUL system for major
servicing anyway.

I hadn't realised that was happening. Is there a huge problem with doing
occasional stock transfers over NR lines? Apart from the fact that the
route would via Clapham Junction, some maneuvers out West, and the Dudden
Hill branch ...

And where would the connection onto National Rail be? At the northern
end, the ELL will only run to Dalston, until the NLL is reconfigured
for the 2011 extension of services to Highbury & Islington. At the
southern end, there will be no connections until the flying junction
at New Cross Gate is installed (the work for this is planned to start
in May 2008, but that's just the bridge installation). The St. Mary's
curve to the District / Hammersmith & City lines is due to be taken
out early next year and so the line will be 'on its own' with no
connections to NR or LUL for a long time. Remember that there is a
long lead-time on NR signalling works and I would imagine that the
dates for the connection at New Cross Gate will rely on when
signalling resources are available.

I'm sure plans could have been made, but also remember that the new
sub-surface (S-) stock will be being delivered about the same time
(2009) and so the Met might want a couple of A-stock trains in reserve
in case of problems dealing with two different designs at the same
time.