Old December 15th 07, 12:58 PM posted to uk.railway, uk.transport, uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default New DLR station opened today

On 15 Dec, 11:52, lonelytraveller
wrote:
The Jubilee line obviously took much of the DLR's Stratford - Canary
Wharf custom away, but given the long 'outerchange' between the
Jubilee and DLR at Canary Wharf I expect that many passengers from
Stratford heading for points south on the line to Lewisham would just
take the DLR all the way.

Why did they build Canary Wharf station like that? Couldn't they have
put it on the western side of the dock instead of the eastern side, so
that they could have a more direct connection?

I don't know the details of the engineering considerations with
regards to Canary Wharf Jubilee line station, but it was all a bit of
a tight fit - the station box is a bit like a big dry dock.

I don't think creating a perfect transport interchange with the DLR
was at the top of the priority list here - the Jubilee line to the
Wharf is all about getting people in and out.

I find that the easiest change here is actually between Heron Quays
DLR and Canary Wharf Jubilee, as getting from the Jubilee up to the
Canary Wharf DLR platforms involves a little bit more faffing about

However, some northbound DLR trains start from the middle platform at
Canary Wharf (can't remember exactly which ones do, and what the
pattern is throughout the day), so northbound passengers are perhaps
best heading up there, though of course starting from Heron Quays
might offer a better opportunity of a seat at busy times. Southbound
passengers are of course best off heading to Heron Quays, unless again
they wanted to try and get a seat at Canary Wharf - though I think
this tactic would be less likely to succeed here.