Old December 15th 07, 10:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Railcard discounts on Oyster Prepay

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 13:45:00 -0800 (PST), Mizter T
wrote:

Paul Corfield wrote:

[snip]

Thanks for the info. I wonder if TfL might share a limited amount of
information with ATOC for the administration of this - e.g. attempt to
match up the registered Oyster card holder with the details given for
the Railcard holder?

I doubt it. The policy to use ticket offices for this encoding task is
contrary to the general policy of reducing sales via ticket offices. I
don't even know if ATOC maintain any sort of database for railcard sales
and I can't see money being spent of sharing info or trying to link
databases.

I'm also wondering whether such users will have to carry their
Railcard with them as well? Whilst not technically necessary, I'd
presume that they would, otherwise there's the potential for fraud.

The document I have seen makes no mention of the detailed rules but it
would seem sensible that they do.

If the Railcard number is entered on to the Oyster card, then if the
Railcard gets replaced after being stolen/lost, the holder would
presumably have to go and update the details held on the Oyster card
so that they tally with the replacement Railcard. There would also
have to be a mechanism whereby the Railcard discount flag on an Oyster
cards could be revoked at the request of the holder, if for example
they've lost their Railcard and don't get a replacement.

I suspect the simplest functionality will simply switch off the discount
after the expiry date. To maintain or remove the discount entitlement
I'd guess the customer will have to go back to a ticket office for
reactivation for a further year / cancellation (as appropriate). I doubt
the system will generate any message to the passenger advising of the
impending end of validity or any other message.

Adult Railcard
Z12 ?4.80 ?3.10
Z14 ?5.40 ?3.50
Z16 ?6.50 ?4.20
Z19 ?7.70 ?5.00
Z19W ?12.60 ?8.30
Z26 ?4.30 ?2.80
Z29 ?4.60 ?3.00
Z29W ?6.60 ?4.30

Aha, the first sighting of the thus far elusive "zone W" (for Watford
Junction) in a fares table!

Note that "W" is not going to be advertised to the public or used on any
publicity. The info is from an internal publication.

Do you have the non-discounted capping levels for "zone W" fares at
all?

rummage

Pk Adult Pk Child Pk 16+/New deal NR Railcard
Z18W £17.10 £8.30 £8.30 £17.10
Z28W £11.30 £3.00 £5.60 £11.30

OP Adult OP Child OP 16+/New Deal NR Railcard
Z18W £12.60 £6.00 £6.00 £8.30
Z28W £6.60 £2.00 £3.30 £4.30

--
Paul C