Old December 16th 07, 01:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default Who sets Day Travelcard fares from outside London?

"Colin Rosenstiel" wrote in message
When I started working (part time) in London in 2001 an off-peak Day
Travelcard from Cambridge cost just 60p more (with Network Card discount)
than a cheap day return to London Terminals. I guess the difference
without railcard discount was 90p.

That differential has risen steadily. In 2007 the undiscounted cheap day
return and off-peak Day Travelcard fares are £18 and £22.50 respectively,
a difference now of £4.50, five times as much as 6 years ago. For
railcard users the difference now is £3.30, five and half times as much
as 60p!

From January, FCC tell me, the CDR remains at £18 while the off-peak Day
Travelcard increases to £24, widening the difference to £6, or £3.95 with
railcard discount. Meanwhile the Peak Travelcard goes up from £34.50 to
£36, the same increase in cash but a £1 less of a margin because the SDR
goes up from £28 to £29.

I bet its an even bigger ripoff if you check the price of a CDR to the first
station within Zone 6, and add an all zones travelcard bought from that
station.

Obviously the tocs are hoping you think they're doing you a favour, but the
fare shouldn't really be CDR to Lon terminals+all zones travelcard,
otherwise you are paying twice for part of your initial journey.

This sort of thing should be on London Travelwatch's agenda surely?

Paul S