Old December 16th 07, 04:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Who sets Day Travelcard fares from outside London?

In article ,
(Paul Scott) wrote:

"Colin Rosenstiel" wrote in message
When I started working (part time) in London in 2001 an off-peak Day
Travelcard from Cambridge cost just 60p more (with Network Card
discount) than a cheap day return to London Terminals. I guess the
difference without railcard discount was 90p.

That differential has risen steadily. In 2007 the undiscounted cheap
day return and off-peak Day Travelcard fares are £18 and £22.50
respectively, a difference now of £4.50, five times as much as 6
years ago. For railcard users the difference now is £3.30, five and
half times as much as 60p!

From January, FCC tell me, the CDR remains at £18 while the off-peak
Day Travelcard increases to £24, widening the difference to £6, or
£3.95 with railcard discount. Meanwhile the Peak Travelcard goes up
from £34.50 to £36, the same increase in cash but a £1 less of a
margin because the SDR goes up from £28 to £29.

I bet its an even bigger ripoff if you check the price of a CDR to
the first station within Zone 6, and add an all zones travelcard
bought from that station.

Indeed. A Day Travelcard to Hadley Wood is £23, more than one to London,
with the same validity in effect.

Obviously the tocs are hoping you think they're doing you a favour,
but the fare shouldn't really be CDR to Lon terminals+all zones
travelcard, otherwise you are paying twice for part of your initial
journey.

This sort of thing should be on London Travelwatch's agenda surely?

I'm trying to find out whose decision it really is, so I know if it's a
matter for them or Passenger Focus.

--
Colin Rosenstiel