Old December 16th 07, 06:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london
lonelytraveller lonelytraveller is offline

Default Embankment - congestion relief

On 16 Dec, 14:10, lonelytraveller
wrote:
Is there any reason that the old sloping tunnel to the Bakerloo
platform from the west end of the eastbound circle line platforms
can't be brought back into use?

The bridge they used over the bakerloo line and the stairs down to the
platforms from it seem to still be there - at least on the northbound
side (I can't work out what's happened to the access onto the
southbound).

The old spiral stairs onto the northern line are still used - and
certainly seem helpful when the station is congested. Obviously the
old lift shaft is cut off by the escalator up to the surface from the
interchange passages below the circle line (or at least I assume
that's why the escalator passes through a very circular area half way
up), but can't the lower parts of the shaft be brought back as another
spiral?

I forgot to mention that there's a map of how the station used to be
laid out he http://www.flickr.com/photos/ianvisits/1558759742/

If you look very closely, you'll realise its the old passageway that's
shown, not the new one. The stairs onto the bakerloo from the passage
are to the left (heading from the passage) not the right.