Old December 16th 07, 09:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default New DLR station opened today

In article ,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007, Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

In article ,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

You're right about a cross-country link, but it's not Oxford to
Cambridge, it's from Ipswich to Nuneaton. The tracks are there, but
the route isn't suitable for freight trains. If it was, traffic
between Felixstowe and the West Midlands (which is most of the
traffic through Felixstowe) could go that way rather than via

London.

Er, it's not W10 gauge and can't therefore take 9'6" containers
on standard wagons but it carries a good deal of freight, I can
assure you!

Apologies! I may be slightly guilty of "if it ain't high cube, it
ain't freight (and well wagons are cheating)" thinking.

The last time I was at Cambridge station there was a freightliner train
reversing in the sidings, as they have been regularly since the accident
with the bridge at Ely which has blocked the direct line from Chippenham
Junction to Ely Dock Junction. Allegedly the new bridge will open on 20
December.

--
Colin Rosenstiel