Old December 17th 07, 10:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner Recliner is offline

Default Sat Nav v the taxi knowledge

"Movilla" wrote in message

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 12:54:25 +0000, Mike Hughes
wrote:

I'm not a fan of Sat Nav systems - give me a real map any day of the
week - but it's surely not a great surprise that a human being with
the benefit of expert knowledge, experience and common sense can
outwit a partially developed computer system??

Naturally local knowledge will always beat a computer, but Sat Navs
come up trumps when you visit a place you've never been to before.

To my surprise, my satnav has occasionally also found better local
routes than I had.

But it sometimes also gets it wrong due to errors in its maps or its
ignorance of the fact that some minor roads are actually quicker than
parallel major roads. It also doesn't know about width restrictions --
my car only just squeezes through 6' 6" restrictions, so I try to avoid
them. However, I am able to program in areas to avoid, so it's getting
better.