Old December 17th 07, 02:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Matthew Dickinson Matthew Dickinson is offline

Default Railcard discounts on Oyster Prepay

By far the easier part of this, to my mind, should be to make sure that
her travel is capped at whatever the Oyster 2008 equivalent of the £4.70
is. Her Oyster card clearly already 'knows' that she has a Gold Card,
since it is loaded onto it. So it seems it should be an even easier task
to set this up than to set up the facilities described by the original
poster. Have they really overlooked this in the new system?

My side of our trips to London, however, I can see is rather a difficult
one to replicate. I could only suggest that we could be able to register
our relationship - as in, the fact that we often travel together, rather
than that we are married! - via the Oyster web site or similar; then if
the system noticed us making the same set of journeys at about the same
time on the same day, it could cap mine at the £4.70-equivalent cost as
well.

What do you think - are they ever likely to get either of these ideas up
and running, in addition to these other laudable new features?

Annual Gold card discounts would be trivial to implement, but I guess
that they think they are all Zones 1-6 anyway.

Network card discount would only matter at the weekend.

Family railcard, partner and groupsave discounts couldn't be
intrdouced within the existing products.

I would think they could only be implemented either as

i) pre-loaded "stored journey rights" (i think only possible with ITSO
not oyster)

or

ii) end of day rebating (mooted previously on Usenet for the probably
apocryphal weekly "best value" capping.)