Old December 17th 07, 03:47 PM posted to uk.railway, uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default More shenanigans with Heathrtow Connect

On 17 Dec, 15:26, CJB wrote:
Yesterday evening the signs at Paddington clearly displayed the
Heathrow Connect as 'cancelled.' I saw two fed-up tourists then go to
the Heathrow Express ticket office and purchase over-priced tickets
for their service. I also wanted to catch the Connect since FGW locals
always seem to leave from platforms 13/14 and I usually can't be
bothered to treck up there when Connect leaves from 12 nearer the main
concourse.

Then about 5 minutes before it was due to depart lo and behold the
Connect appears on platform 6, becomes 'uncancelled,' and then departs
on time. I trust that the 'cancellation' was not a ploy to force
Heathrow-bound passengers (sorry customers) to purchase a more
expensive Express fare.

Being the BAA (owned by Spanish property demolition and construction
company Ferrovial) I wouldn't put anything past them. But one of the
conditions for being allowed to expand Heathrow (resulting in the
biggest enforced relocation of people - 35,000 and more - since the
Highland Clearances) was that public transportation to/from Heathrow
has to improve. With the vicissitudes of Herathrow Express and
Heathrow Connect (still at times terminating early at Hayes &
Harlington), BAA has a long way to go.

CJB.

I doubt your conspiracy theory would really stand up to a lot of
scrutiny. Network Rail, who're in charge of the PIS displays at
Paddington, certainly wouldn't play along with it!

Other explanations are perhaps more likely - such as a problem with
the train, or a missing driver. The lack of any announcements at
Paddington to explain the situation is bad.

Whatever the reason, it does sound pretty shabby - that's no way to
run a train service.

Why not contact Heathrow Connect (which is in fact a 50/50 partnership
between FGW and BAA) and complain - the contact details including an
email address are on this page:
http://www.heathrowconnect.com/default.aspx?pageid=58