Old December 17th 07, 06:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Michael R N Dolbear Michael R N Dolbear is offline

Default Who sets Day Travelcard fares from outside London?

Colin Rosenstiel wrote
(Michael R N Dolbear) wrote:

I'm an Surrey SWT user and the CDR/ODTC difference has always been
(until the cash tube fare increase) more than two zone 1 cash tube
fares and thus could never have been as little as 90p in 2001. It
seems Cambridge started very cheap and ended up more than SWT.

The difference (from Walton-on-Thames) is currently £3.50 (after
11:30), £4.00 (after 09:30) and £5.70 (before 09:30).

Yes, I thought the NSE Day Travelcard (originally Capitalcard) scheme

was
to add two zone 1 tube fares, so have never understood the Cambridge
rates.

As I noted it was always more than two zone 1 tube fares so the SWT
stations offered both; an add on to anywhere in zone 1 or a ODTC. Now
of course the choice is only worth offering with a peak ticket.

Can you get these fares from the nationalrail web site? From

Cambridge I
can't, presumably because it only offers the discounted 'one'-only
travelcard instead.

Certainly the Peak and CDR could be seen on National Rail, but
initially when SWT brought in the 'shoulder' fare increase (after 9:30
and before about 11:30) in May the 'super off peak' fare wasn't shown.
Don't know if it's been enhanced since.

It seems it hasn't ( tried a return day trip Walton-on-Thames to
Hadley Wood which couldn't offer a fare after 11:30 but did offer a
ODTC option before then).

Also a silly message
==Please be aware, you may need to buy separate tickets for this
journey, as a through ticket may not be available. If you don't want to
travel via this route, click 'Restart journey' at the bottom of the
page and try again.==

http://www.thetrainline.com did it right

Super off peak ODTC £10.00 (sop CDR £6.50)
(point to point) CDR £10.70
Off peak ODTC £11.60 (CDR 7.60)
peak TC £16.10 (SDR £10.40)

--