Old December 20th 07, 06:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default East London Line work

Mr Thant wrote:

On 19 Dec, 21:47, "Paul Scott" wrote:
Is it to be an access for NR engineering trains delivering new track,
ballast etc, off the NR lines? It'll be a while before access is available
from the north of the route, and in any event, its the only practical way
full length welded rail could be delivered. It wouldn't have to be built to
the full standards of the finished article, just a through siding, if only
to be used for limited activities during possessions.

I'd think the connection to the outside world will be made at the
south end of New Cross Gate, which will also [probably] be needed as a
running line. The junction by Surrey Quays is just sidings and won't
go anywhere until/if Phase 2 is built.

The sidings are simply part of the Silwood Triangle works depot. They
do at least partially follow the old alignment of the line that used
to link up with the South London Line just north of the Old Kent Road
(back in the days of yore all the lines in the New Cross/ South
Bermondsey/ Surrey Docks all seemed to have been linked up).

As and when phase 2 happens (which I think is likely), as far as I can
see the new line will follow the exact same alignment of this old
link.

One intriguing thing I read about the Silwood Triangle works depot is
that it may be reused as part of the Thameslink 3000 works - although
my understanding is that the new flyovers and flyunders will actually
be located further north west up the mainline into London Bridge.