Old December 20th 07, 02:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tim Roll-Pickering Tim Roll-Pickering is offline

Default Autocar designs a new Routemaster

Mizter T wrote:

is guilty of subscribing to the
orthodox media opinion when she claims that London's "bendy-
busses" (sic) are "loathed and problematic" - the opinion of Londoners
on these buses is by no-means universally hostile as is often
portrayed in the press (though I certainly know a few non-transport
enthusiast normal people who detest them, but many more who find them
quite acceptable).

It's quite possible that opinions vary given the actual bendy bus people are
likely to use. The number 25 serves QMUL (and also my home) and I'm hard
pressed to think of *anyone* with a good word to say about bendy buses in
general.

And of course there is the fact that these would be two-man buses,
requiring a conductor. As great as conductors may be, that is a very
significant expense - London's bus network is already subsidised, so
unless the subsidy is increased there would have to be cut backs
elsewhere. If the network was less frequent, less comprehensive or
more expensive to the passenger in terms of fares, then ridership
would be likely fall.

That's a good point but I think too many people overlook the level of
faredodging on the bendy buses - how much would ticket insepctions claw
back? I don't doubt that it probably wouldn't reach the cost, but passengers
also find the bendies in particular to be scarey to travel on (again this
may be a 25 specific problem) and having a member of staff on board who
isn't locked away in a booth at the front would reassure many.