Old December 20th 07, 03:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Oyster at Euston Platform 7

On 20 Dec, 14:47, Matthew Dickinson
wrote:
On 20 Dec, 13:30, " wrote:

Does anyone know if there is an oyster reader hidden somewhere at
platform 7 or on the main concourse at Euston?

Yesterday I was on a later train than usual (08:20 something I think)
and it arrived at platform 7.

The only stand alone validator is on platform 17.

But I couldn't see an oyster reader anywhere. In the end I had to go
down to the 8-11 platforms and "touch out" on the gate there. To add
insult to injury, that detour (which wasn't that easy to do as I was
going against the flow when I was going down to the gateline) cost me
an extra 50p. It was so tempting just not to bother.

Although I wasn't continuing on to the underground, had I just touched
in on the underground without touching out from the overground would
that still have counted as a continuation of my journey?

Two "touch ins" without an intermediate "touch out" would result in
the first journey being unresolved.
Using the manual gate validator at Euston Underground would be ok as
it would just continue the journey.

Euston platforms 1-8 & 13-16 , Wembley Central platforms 3-6, West
Ruislip car park exit, and St Pancras International High Level (when
diverted to) are the places that I know of where it is impossible to
validate correctly.

This is not obvious though, since it's a kind of "outerchange". When
I once did a PAYG outerchange at Heron Quays/Canary Wharf, I thought
that touching in at the distant DLR where the journey started and then
touching in at Canary Wharf Jubilee would be accepted as an obvious
continuation, but in fact I couldn't get into the Jubilee having not
touched out of the DLR (requiring a detour to the ludicrously-placed
reader at Heron Quays). It resulted in a major screw-up, because
having refused me at the Jubilee gate, it then wouldn't let me touch
out at Heron Quays even when I went back.