Old December 22nd 07, 03:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london, uk.railway
Boltar Boltar is offline

Default The East London Line is dead... Long live the East London Line

On 22 Dec, 15:34, wrote:
which is of recent construction) will require to be upgraded to be DDA
compliant,

Why? And why does installing a lift require the whole station to close
anyway?

In addition, platforms will require to be lengthend, which at
Rotherhithe and Wapping will require opening out the tunnels (the new
class 378s will, I presume, be 20m vehicles whereas the A stock is
noticeably shorter).

You might have a point there.

In the case of the power supply, there will be a requirement to ensure
that stray traction return currents do not cause corrosion of running
rails, buried services etc; this will require significant work in its

Surely that was sorted when the line was closed last time?

Then there is resignalling; I presume the line will be resignalled to
NR standards to achieve compatibility with the lines to its north and
south and to avoid the 378s having to be fitted with LUL train stops
as well as TPWS. Does anyone know what has been specified for the
signalling?

Again ,. I don't see why the line would have to close for that. They
could just install the new system piece by piece until its ready to
be used.

Finally, a new flyover is to be built at New Cross Gate to allow
northbound trains from the Brighton Line to gain access to the ELL.
This will require significant works in its own right.

Again , I don't see why this would require closure of the line for 2
years.

As you can see, there is a lot more to it than meets the eye - HTH!

Seems to me they're just making their own life easier than actually
trying to accomodate the travelling public, who are after all, the
whole raison d'etre of the line in the first place!

B2003