Old December 23rd 07, 01:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london, uk.railway
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default The East London Line is dead... Long live the East London Line

On 23 Dec, 13:16, "Recliner" wrote:
"Spyke" wrote:

STOP PRESS... STOP PRESS...
I've just this morning read a thread on District Dave's internet
forum about the closure of the ELL - it looks like a 'special' train
of some sort was on the cards and was due to run this afternoon, but
this has seemingly been called off for reasons unknown (as is
explained on page 2 of the thread)...
http://districtdave.proboards39.com/...&action=displa...

I believe the original plan was to run the 4-car 1938TS in public
service, but the unions refused to allow it and LU was unable to
persuade them.

Why did they object? Was it to be driven by a non-union member?

If you look elsewhere on that District Dave forum thread then you'll
read reports of how some 'enthusiasts' on the recent 1938TS tour of
the ELL behaved in what sounds like a pretty appallingly bad fashion.
Maybe some of the drivers didn't want to turn the last day into a
circus with such individuals clowning about.

I hasten to add that I'm not denigrating all transport enthusiasts by
any stretch. It is merely that several times I've read various tales
of the trouble that a significant (?) minority bring along to various
events, with behaviour that doesn't sound much different to a bunch of
unruly and overexcited nursery school children.