Old December 23rd 07, 04:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london, uk.railway
MIG MIG is offline

Default The East London Line is dead... Long live the East London Line

On Dec 23, 5:02*pm, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Sat, 22 Dec 2007, MIG wrote:
An orbital route might be a nice to have, but only in addition to the
radial routes, not replacing them. I've mentioned many times that the
trains from the Forest Hill direction are appallingly overcrowded. *I
can't see how it improves things to shorten them to fit the ELL and
divert them to Hackney.

Because if they go to Hackney, no bugger'll get on them. SOLVED!

Sadly not quite true if the supposed alternative route to London
Bridge is to change to the Jubilee at Canada Water.

So instead of overcrowded trains going direct to London Bridge, there
will be trains of half the length, and double the crowding, requiring
a longer journey and a change.

Nice and empty after Canada Water if one did go to Hackney though,
because anyone whose normal journey is from Surrey Quays to
Whitechapel won't be able to get on.

(Before anyone mentions it, I know that some people change to the
Jubilee anyway, so won't need an extra change, but certainly won't be
helped.)