Old December 27th 07, 03:46 PM posted to uk.railway, uk.transport.london
Paul Weaver Paul Weaver is offline

Default Crossrail link to Reading hangs in the balance

On 25 Dec, 20:34, "Dave" wrote:
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...-details/Cross...

A decision on whether to extend the £16billion Crossrail scheme to Reading
will be made in the New Year, it emerged today.

If it is, then presumably the current semifast services from Reading
will be relegated to all-stops, and there won't be much choice for
passangers from the Slough-Reading corridor -- a slow service, or
none at all. When I lived in Twyford there were fast services that
stopped maidenhead/burnham/taplow/slough/hayes/ealing/paddington, they
then added in west drayton, iver and langley when they stopped the
slough all-stops for Heathrow Connect, severly worsening service for
the Slough-Reading corridor. An all stops service will be painful,
especially as frequency won't increase.

If it isn't extended, then I can see the slow Oxford-Reading services
will call additionally at Twyford, Maidenhead, Slough, then move to
the main lines to Paddington, allowing cross/same platform changes to
crossrail at Slough. An extra stop at Hayes on an new platform (if
there were room) could allow better connections without holding up the
main line GWML services.