Old December 28th 07, 12:01 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Richard J.[_2_] Richard J.[_2_] is offline

Default Crossrail link to Reading hangs in the balance

Colin McKenzie wrote:
Adrian the Rock wrote:
"Dave" wrote:
A decision on whether to extend the £16billion Crossrail scheme
to Reading will be made in the New Year, it emerged today...

Good news that they're giving this question a second thought. I
suspect, however, that even if they decided to stick with
Maidenhead for the initial development, the case to extend to Reading
subsequently would be so compelling that it'd happen one
way or the other anyway.

Big benefit of Crossrail is not having to change at current termini.
If you're far enough out, it's better to get a fast train to the
terminus and change anyway.

I hope the principle that Crossrail should be all-stations has been
established.

Then you'll be disappointed. The planned Crossrail timetable involves
some trains non-stopping certain stations west of Paddington in order to
leave paths for some west-of-Maidenhead FGW trains on the relief lines.
I don't see anything wrong with that. Why do you think that, say, Acton
Main Line or Hanwell must have the same frequency of service as Ealing
Broadway?
--
Richard J.