Old December 28th 07, 08:57 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default Crossrail link to Reading hangs in the balance

"Mr Thant" wrote in message
On 28 Dec, 01:25, Tom Anderson wrote:
The less obvious but (IMNERHO) even better idea is to assimilate the
Hammersmith & City line west of Paddington. It improves the service
there,
and also simplifies the sub-surface lines, allowing them to run a more
reliable service too. Gauge issues etc, though.

I think the portal's too far west for this. By the time Crossrail
trains surface on the north side of the GWML, the H&C is about to turn
south away from the line, and I wouldn't think it's practical to build
a flyover in the space available.

I like the idea of heading to Uxbridge via a sharp turn to North
Ealing, so that all Piccadilly Line trains can go to Heathrow, but I
doubt there's a business case for it.

Could they not just transfer that bit back to the District line using a few
more of the new S stock to provide the traction, and up the Picc frequency
to Heathrow?

Paul S