Old December 28th 07, 05:05 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Richard J.[_2_] Richard J.[_2_] is offline

Default Crossrail link to Reading hangs in the balance

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Fri, 28 Dec 2007, Mr Thant wrote:

On 28 Dec, 09:57, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
Could they not just transfer that bit back to the District line
using a few more of the new S stock to provide the traction, and
up the Picc frequency to Heathrow?

But then you'd have to take trains away from the other District
branches, or find more capacity further east. Rumour is that the
District Ealing Broadway and Piccadilly Uxbridge branches will
swap over at some point, but I don't think this plan has any official
status.

New to me.

There's been a plan hanging around for decades now for a couple of
miles of tunnel from Shepherd's Bush to Turnham Green, by means of
which the Central line could take over the Richmond branch of the
District.

It even made the Tube Map in (I think) 1920, with a branch of the
Central London Railway from Shepherd's Bush to Gunnersbury shown as
"under construction", though it never was AFAIK. According to this map
poster, which is on show at the Museum Depot during open weekends,
stations were planned at Goldhawk Road, Stamford Brook Common, Turnham
Green (next to the existing station), Turnham Green (near the green) and
Gunnersbury. The Central extension from Wood Lane to Ealing Broadway is
also shown as "under construction", and it was opened later in 1920.

There's a photo of the map at http://rjnews.fotopic.net/p47472218.html
Click 'Next' for a close-up of the Gunnersbury branch.

According to Barker & Robbins (A History of London Transport), the
Gunnersbury branch was authorised in 1913.

--
Richard J.