Old December 29th 07, 05:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mark Brader Mark Brader is offline

Default Old BR logo on London Underground

"Neill":
It suddenly struck me yesterday when I was up in London, why do TFL
still use the old British Rail logo? Whenever you get to a station
with an overground rail connection, there are signs saying "Trains"
with an arrow and the old logo.

Lewis Cox:
It's *not* an old logo. Every railway station in the country shows that
logo - its accepted as the standard design in the UK meaning "Railway",
regardless of who is running the trains. National Rail still use it, maps
still use it... why would you change it?

Well, some might prefer it to be changed because it seems to imply that
there is a still a single organization responsible for all those trains.
On the other hand, some also might prefer to leave it alone just on the
off-chance that that situation comes to pass again.

In fact I'd also like to what they
think the things that run on the Underground are if not "trains"?

In non enthusiast speak, they are tubes - even the sub-surface stock.

Well, I think enough people know them as "tube trains" for that
explanation not to fly. Consider also all those signs that say
things like "1st *train* - High Barnet - 1 min" (emphasis added).

I suggest, instead, that when the signs read "BR sign trains", the
symbol is meant to be interpreted as an adjective, so it's national
rail trains as opposed to tube trains.
--
Mark Brader "The routes 'London' and 'not London' are
Toronto not necessarily mutually exclusive."