Old December 29th 07, 09:59 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Richard J.[_2_] Richard J.[_2_] is offline

Default Crossrail link to Reading hangs in the balance

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Fri, 28 Dec 2007, Richard J. wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:

There's been a plan hanging around for decades now for a couple of
miles of tunnel from Shepherd's Bush to Turnham Green, by means of
which the Central line could take over the Richmond branch of the
District.

It even made the Tube Map in (I think) 1920, with a branch of the
Central London Railway from Shepherd's Bush to Gunnersbury shown
as "under construction", though it never was AFAIK. According to
this map poster, which is on show at the Museum Depot during open
weekends, stations were planned at Goldhawk Road, Stamford Brook
Common,

Is that (the common) he

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=51.4...&t=h&z=17&om=1

Yes. The station is not named on the map, but it's shown as just west of
the bend in Goldhawk Road

? I can't actually find anything marked with that name on any maps!

If it is, i'm a little surprised it was quite that far west - i
would have thought Seven Stars Corner (Addenswick Rd x Goldhawk Rd)
would have been a better location. Seems not!

You mean Paddenswick Road, not Addenswick. The extension is very
crudely drawn, and it may be that the planned positions of the stations
were different.

Turnham Green (next to the existing station), Turnham Green (near
the green) and Gunnersbury. The Central extension from Wood Lane
to Ealing Broadway is also shown as "under construction", and it
was opened later in 1920.

It seems strange that they wanted to keep the route in tunnel all
the way to Gunnersbury; the current track layout means you can surface
at Turnham Green and go from there (via Chiswick Park, ish)
without getting in anyone's way.

As indeed Crossrail planned to do at one stage with their Corridor 6
proposal to Richmond and beyond.

Maybe it wasn't always like that, or they thought a stop at the Green
itself was more useful.

The latter I should think. The actual Green at Turnham Green ("Turnham
Green Church" in bus parlance) is a more central location than TG
station for Chiswick's shopping centre along the High Road, plus the
Town Hall and Chiswick Empire theatre (in those days). It's served by 8
bus routes today.

There's a photo of the map at
http://rjnews.fotopic.net/p47472218.html

Splendid! Although that map's geography is a bit suspect with
respect to the exact positions of roads and stations and things.

Agreed.

--
Richard J.