Old December 31st 07, 12:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default Autocar designs a new Routemaster

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007, Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

In article ,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007, Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

And remember how long London tram drivers had no windscreens
because of police objections.

Say what?

Huh? In the 1920s and 30s, trams (and ISTR buses) didn't have
windscreens in case they obstructed the view for drivers. The police
licensed transport in London, unlike everywhere else in the country that
had no such nonsense.

Good grief. I'd never heard of this before, thanks for the info! Seems
completely potty, but that's the Met for you (not the LU line) (actually,
the LU line too).

We still have almost no LED bus destination displays in London
for similar reasons.

Isn't that a disability thing, LED matrices being of lower contrast
than blinds, and thus less good for the partially sighted?

Quite the contrary these days IME. Anyway, why is London out of line
with the whole of the rest of the country on this?

Because we're not bumpkin provincials who couldn't organise their way out
of a paper bag? :P I don't know. I like the matrix screens, i have to say,
provided they retain the best features of blinds, like big route numbers
and via points.

Incidentally, i noticed while on the Circle line the other day that the
RNIB is now the 'Royal National Institute for Blind People', not 'for the
Blind'. Hurrah for rebranding!

tom

--
In my view, this is no different than a parent introducing his child to
Shakespeare (except that the iambic pentameter is replaced by a framework