Old December 31st 07, 05:09 PM posted to uk.railway, uk.transport.london
[email protected] unrealpolitik@gmail.com is offline

Default Crossrail link to Reading hangs in the balance

On Dec 31, 3:09 pm, (Adrian the Rock) wrote:

That's one view, but I would turn the coin on its head and say it
shows a lack of ambition to run only that far on the eastern stretch.
This is why I'm concerned about the 'Ken factor' having too much
influence, as their formal responsibilities stop at Z6.

I'd surely have thought there would be a market for through trains
from places like Colchester and Southend to points west of London -
Heathrow is surely a no-brainer, but the Thames Valley itself is a
thriving business zone and this would make it far more accessible from
Essex. Again, think how successful Bedford - Brighton is.

There probably would be the market for it - I think the bigger concern
is capacity. The Shenfield line has something insane like 15tph during
the peaks at the moment, and is likely to have more under Crossrail
(with some terminating at Liverpool Street).

It's one of the busiest NR lines in London - I assume the thinking is
that there's no point weakening the service for those passengers in
the hope of improving travel times between Chelmsford and Reading.

Jonn