Old January 1st 08, 01:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Clive Page[_2_] Clive Page[_2_] is offline

Default Not impressed by last night's London fireworks

It was good to see the tubes running late (and free, though I'd got a
1-day travelcard so it didn't save me anything) but we went in specially
to see the fireworks at midnight and were very disappointed.

We watched them from the north bank roughly opposite the National
Theatre, from which we could see nearly all of the London Eye. We
obviously could have got closer, but the crowds would have been denser
and we thought the difficulties of getting into a tube station
afterwards would have been too great.

For us the fireworks were ok for the first couple of minutes, but all a
bit low down - hardly any seemed to go much higher than the top of the
wheel itself.

But they all generated a huge amount of smoke, which gradually drifted
eastwards, also at a low level, and totally obscured the rest of the
display from where we (and thousands of others) were standing. In the
end all we could here were the bangs, which also seemed low down. I'm
sure we would have been able to see something if they had been higher -
which I think has been the case for displays along the Thames in
previous years.

I think I saw somewhere that a different company was responsible for the
display this year. Did others manage to get a better view or were you
also disappointed?

--
Clive Page