Old January 2nd 08, 05:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Lew 1 Lew 1 is offline

Default Signs and portents (well, a map, anyway)

They seem to quite like their stickers. London Overground have been
busy pasting over even the most harmless Rail Alphabet sign with an
identical one in New Johnston, complete with the silly "Temporary
sign" note in the corner. They seem much less bothered about the
trains not exactly matching the picture in the brochure.

Actually, I think they have done what was needed. Passengers at the station
will have wanted to know change is on the way, and changing the signage
albeit temporarily along with staffing does make the station feel "nicer". I
admit it is surprising that such a small act can help one feel more
comfortable, but there we go.

I was overjoyed whilst waiting at West Hampstead in the evening last week,
when a staff member walked down the platform, picked up the *one* newspaper
on the platform and told another passenger to put his cigarette out in the
shelter. Not 3 months ago, I would be cowering under a light next to the
help point, up to my knees in free papers while youths on the other side
threw beer bottles onto the tracks. And West Hampstead has always been one
of the nicer stations on the route!

As for the trains, even I can see that given the relatively short wait for
the new trains, re-painting or refurbishing is out of the question. The
trains are already arriving a thousand times cleaner (inside and out) then
they ever used to - and I am happy with that until the new stock.

I feel ever so positive about London Overground, the way the North London
Line was operated and neglected was nothing short of a disgrace in an "up
and coming" city.

Best Wishes,
LEWIS