Old January 5th 08, 10:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Arthur Figgis Arthur Figgis is offline

Default [OT] Ely Place, Cambridgeshire and mail sorting in Amsterdam

Tom Anderson wrote:
Right,

In this article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ma...roenclaves.xml

about exclaves, there are two dodgy assertions. Firstly:

"[Ely Place] is a little corner of Cambridgeshire, still enjoying
freedom from entry by the Metropolitan Police, except by invitation of
the Commissioners of Ely Place"

I don't dispute that Ely Place was technically a part of Cambridgeshire
for centuries (a joyously bonkers story), but another source states that
"Cambridgeshire officially handed over jurisdiction of Ely Place to
Camden Council sometime in the 1970's".

Cambridgeshire council told me something broadly similar when I e-mailed
them to ask a couple of years ago.

Secondly:

"according to EU regulations, all inter-EU mail has to go though a
sorting office in Amsterdam."

Which seems very, very unlikely indeed to be true.

Anyone got any ideas about these? I'm asking on utl because it's
frequented by the kind of person who i feel might know.

A big company I used to work for sent outbound mail through some private
company, which then sent all the post via (I think) Germany en route to
its destination. We'd occasionally get phone calls from people puzzled
by seeing German markings on the envelopes.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK