Old January 5th 08, 04:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Ken Ken is offline

Default [OT] Ely Place, Cambridgeshire and mail sorting in Amsterdam

On Sat, 05 Jan 2008 11:45:35 +0000, Arthur Figgis
wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:
Right,

In this article:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/ma...roenclaves.xml

about exclaves, there are two dodgy assertions. Firstly:

"[Ely Place] is a little corner of Cambridgeshire, still enjoying
freedom from entry by the Metropolitan Police, except by invitation of
the Commissioners of Ely Place"

I don't dispute that Ely Place was technically a part of Cambridgeshire
for centuries (a joyously bonkers story), but another source states that
"Cambridgeshire officially handed over jurisdiction of Ely Place to
Camden Council sometime in the 1970's".

Cambridgeshire council told me something broadly similar when I e-mailed
them to ask a couple of years ago.

I used to work in Ye Olde Mitre, the pub in Ely Court (between Ely
Place and Hatton Garden). AFAIK the Ely-Place-in-Cambs situation
ended in 1965 with the creation of the GLC and current London
Boroughs, although it was a good story which still survives in spite
of its not being true anymore! At one time I believe the licence for
the pub was issued by the Cambridgeshire magistrates.

The connection with Cambridgeshire comes from the still-extant RC
church of St Etheldreda's which came under the Bishops of Ely's
control as it was the chapel attached to their London palace. A
fascinating history is he
http://www.stetheldreda.com/history.html

--
Ken