Old January 7th 08, 07:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Terry Paul Terry is offline

Default [OT] Ely Place, Cambridgeshire and mail sorting in Amsterdam

In message , Ian Jelf
writes

Now I *know* this is going to look like back-pedaling on my part grin
but as all my notes refer to Ely Place's exemption from City (and
Mayoral) jurisdiction, I wonder if this is one of those places where
the City boundary has moved slightly since mediaeval times?

Always possible, although most ward boundaries have not moved greatly.

What I think may be more significant is that most senior bishops set-up
their London residences outside the city: Canterbury in Lambeth, Durham
and Norwich in the Strand, Winchester in Southwark, Ely just north of
Farringdon ...

--
Paul Terry