Old January 7th 08, 08:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J.[_2_] Richard J.[_2_] is offline

Default [OT] Ely Place, Cambridgeshire and mail sorting in Amsterdam

Ian Jelf wrote:
In message , Paul Terry
writes

[...]
The city boundary runs along Charterhouse Street - Ely place is
just north of it, in Camden (and therefore in the Metropolitan
Police District).

Now I *know* this is going to look like back-pedaling on my part
grin but as all my notes refer to Ely Place's exemption from City
(and Mayoral) jurisdiction, I wonder if this is one of those places
where the City boundary has moved slightly since mediaeval times?
After all ,there would have been nothing "special" about it being
outside the jurisdiction of the City if it wasn't "within" it. If
it had always been outside the City, then any "exemptions" would
have referred to it being outside the jurisdiction of Middlesex
(pre 1888) or the County of London (post 1888).

I have been genuinely surprised by the lack of online information
about this subject.

Anyone have any earlier boundary maps to hand?

1956: City boundary still shown as running across the southern end of
Ely Place (Bartholomew street atlas)

At http://www.zigguratonline.com/clerkenwellhisto.html :
"In medieval times, the Bishop of Ely was a powerful man. He built his
palace just outside the City of London, at nearby Ely Place."

At http://www.british-history.ac.uk/rep...x?compid=63117 there's a
digest of historical mentions of Ely Place which includes:

"Ely Court: outside the City boundary (Bacon, 1912)."
and
"Six messuages and forty acres of land in Ely (in) London, the suburb of
London and the parish of St. Andrew Holeburn to be alienated to the
prior and convent of Ely, 1335-9 (Cal. P.R. Ed. III. 1334-8, p. 107)."

At http://homepages.gold.ac.uk/genuki/M...w/churches.htm :
"Holborn, St.Andrew, Holborn Viaduct [mediæval - pre-Conquest -before
951] parish originally partly within the City jurisdiction, partly in
Middlesex."

--
Richard J.