Old January 8th 08, 12:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default [OT] Ely Place, Cambridgeshire and mail sorting in Amsterdam

In article ,
(Ian Jelf) wrote:

In message ,
Richard J. writes
1956: City boundary still shown as running across the southern end
of Ely Place (Bartholomew street atlas)

At
http://www.zigguratonline.com/clerkenwellhisto.html :
"In medieval times, the Bishop of Ely was a powerful man. He built
his palace just outside the City of London, at nearby Ely Place."

At http://www.british-history.ac.uk/rep...x?compid=63117 there's
a digest of historical mentions of Ely Place which includes:

"Ely Court: outside the City boundary (Bacon, 1912)."
and
"Six messuages and forty acres of land in Ely (in) London, the suburb
of London and the parish of St. Andrew Holeburn to be alienated to the

prior and convent of Ely, 1335-9 (Cal. P.R. Ed. III. 1334-8, p. 107)."

At

http://homepages.gold.ac.uk/genuki/M...w/churches.htm
:
"Holborn, St.Andrew, Holborn Viaduct [mediæval - pre-Conquest -before
951] parish originally partly within the City jurisdiction, partly in
Middlesex."

So apart from that last item, nothing to suggest a former presence
in (or "within") the City. I've since had a look at the London
Encyclopaedia (p266-7). This makes the statement that Ely place
"does not form part of the City of London and is exempt from the
authority of the Lord Mayor" (I think this might have been the
original source for the lecture on which my notes were based.

I also have a possibly erroneous mental image of an "Ely Place"
street sign in the City Corporation style, white with a black
border and with the city coat of arms at the side.

Methinks a trip to have a look is overdue!

I expect 'll be in that area on the evening of 16 January next week but
I'm not sure what one might see in the dark.

--
Colin Rosenstiel