Old January 10th 08, 10:38 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
James Farrar James Farrar is offline

Default An open letter regarding Croxley Rail link

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 13:01:52 -0800 (PST), Mizter T
wrote:

IMO what is a shame is the lack of elected regional assemblies in
England. The North East had a referendum in 2004 on whether they'd be
the first region to set up an elected assembly and unfortunately voted
against it - so the whole idea of regional assemblies isn't really on
the table, not at the moment at least.

Mostly because people are uninterested in expensive talking shops. At
least Scotland gets a Parliament (and Wales is on the way to it) --
but, frankly, I'd be surprised if regional assemblies ever get
anywhere, as the vast majority of people in England, I suspect, feel
no identity with their "region".