Old January 11th 08, 05:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Central line extension to New York?

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 23:41:21 -0000, "John Rowland"
wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

Though maybe I'm merely pleased that a few yanks do fulfil
the relevant stereotyping, which is perhaps a bit unfair on the rest
of them.

Thirty years ago, a friend and I were at Victoria on the Circle platforms.
Near us were An American Tourist, complete with cigars in pocket of flowery
shirt, and a Japanese couple. Japanese man walks up to yank and says
"Euston? Zis Tlain to Euston?". The yank says , "No, ya gartta go darn the
stayers t' th' urther plaatfoam". Jap stares in total confusion.

I'm mildly amused that the Yank knew which way it was to Euston.

American
then shouts at the Jap so loudly that it echoes along the platforms, "GO
DOWNO STAIRO TO OTHERO PLATFORMO".

Similar to the infamous example from old documentary about Angel Station
and the booking clerk saying "take the lift and go on stop northbound to
Kings Cross and change for the PicclyDickly line".

--
Paul C