Old January 13th 08, 12:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner Recliner is offline

Default Last unpainted D Stock (last "silver" Underground train)

"MIG" wrote in message

On 12 Jan, 23:38, (Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:
In article ,

(Recliner) wrote:
"MIG" wrote in message

I always assumed that the years in the stock codes were based on
orders rather than introduction. Like the D78 stock first being
introduced in 1980.

Actually, I think the date numbers represent the earliest envisaged
date of introduction; the actual entry into service is usually a
year or two later. The orders would have been placed years earlier
(it takes much more than two years from order to introduction). Of
course, there are some anomalies, like the 1995 and 1996 stocks,
which actually entered service in the opposite order, or mark 2
batches.

Maybe the dates are now more realistic -- after all, the 2009 stock
started testing on the Victoria line in 2007. But I'm not sure when
it will enter pax service.

Tube stock used to be quite good at entering service in the right
year, e.g. 1959, 1960, 1962 and 1967.

A recent new idea is to pretend that the additional Jubilee stock is
also 1996, including the otherwise rather different treadover plates
from the originals.

All the 1967 stock had 1967 in the plates, including the second batch
that must have entered service later, but there was no mark 2
convention.

I meant that the 1967 stock didn't begin to enter service until 1968

C77 stock did have 1977 in the plates, but I don't think it entered
service till about 1979.

I meant that C77 stock is, effectiveless, C68 mk 2 stock, but was given
a new name, unlike the 1972 and 1995 stocks, where the extra vehicles
were given the original year numbers.