Old January 13th 08, 04:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Last unpainted D Stock (last "silver" Underground train)

In article
,
(MIG) wrote:

On 13 Jan, 13:35, "Recliner" wrote:
"MIG" wrote in message

On 12 Jan, 23:38, (Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:
In article ,
(Recliner) wrote:
"MIG" wrote in message

I always assumed that the years in the stock codes were based on
orders rather than introduction. Like the D78 stock first being
introduced in 1980.

Actually, I think the date numbers represent the earliest
envisaged date of introduction; the actual entry into service is
usually a year or two later. The orders would have been placed
years earlier (it takes much more than two years from order to
introduction). Of course, there are some anomalies, like the
1995 and 1996 stocks, which actually entered service in the
opposite order, or mark 2 batches.

Maybe the dates are now more realistic -- after all, the 2009
stock started testing on the Victoria line in 2007. But I'm not
sure when it will enter pax service.

Tube stock used to be quite good at entering service in the right
year, e.g. 1959, 1960, 1962 and 1967.

A recent new idea is to pretend that the additional Jubilee
stock is also 1996, including the otherwise rather different
treadover plates from the originals.

All the 1967 stock had 1967 in the plates, including the second
batch that must have entered service later, but there was no mark 2
convention.

I meant that the 1967 stock didn't begin to enter service until 1968

Yes. I thought the first section of the Victoria Line opened in 1967 but
I could be wrong.

C77 stock did have 1977 in the plates, but I don't think it entered
service till about 1979.

I meant that C77 stock is, effectiveless, C68 mk 2 stock, but was
given a new name, unlike the 1972 and 1995 stocks, where the extra
vehicles were given the original year numbers

There seem to be three conventions

1) designate the second batch to be the same as the first (1967,
1995 coaches)

2) designate the second batch to be a mark 2 (1972 [really 1967
mark 3 and 4?])

3) designate the second batch to be a different class (1959/62, A60/
A62, C69/C77)

No consistency really

It presumably depends on the significance of developments between orders.
At one extreme, the second 1967 batch was just the extra cars for the
Brixton extension, a follow-on from the first batch in all respects,
while the 1962TS had a number of technical developments from the 1959TS.
Probably the greatest was the switch to Motor-Alternators.

Given the changes at refurbishment I wouldn't be surprised if the C77
stock didn't have quite a few changes under the skin from the C69 (note,
not 68).

--
Colin Rosenstiel