Old January 13th 08, 04:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Last unpainted D Stock (last "silver" Underground train)

On 13 Jan, 17:04, (Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:
In article
,

(MIG) wrote:
There was red stock on the District till the early 1980s when it was
replaced by the D78 stock (D78 started being introduced in 1980).

The main route of the District was run by a mixture of R stock
(silver) and CO/CP stock (red).

The Edgware Road line was run purely by CO/CP stock (red) but there
was no separation of fleets, ie CO/CP stock that ran to Edgware Road
would also find itself at Upminster etc.

The difference was that R stock was always formed into seven-coach
trains by then, while the CO/CP stock could be formed into seven or
six-coach trains. *On the Edgware Road line there was only room for
six coaches, so it was always CO/CP stock.

On the main route, you did sometimes see a six-coach train of CO/CP
stock*, but they were usually seven.

C77 stock allowed the CO/CP stock to start being withdrawn, but some
of it was still needed for the main part of the line, which couldn't
be covered by the R stock alone.

It was first to go when the D78 stock came in.

*and a few on the Circle on Sundays

In my contemporary observations relatively few 7-car O/P stock trains
were run on the District. This is because there were few two-car O/P
stock units formed and you needed two for a 7 car train.

I don't think that's right. Short trains were definitely rare on the
Upminster route, but nevertheless seen sometimes.

My 1975 Brian Hardy shows 61 three-car units and 50 two-car units.

That would be enough to make 25 seven-car trains plus 18 six-car
trains, of which several of the latter would be on the Edgware Road
line.

In the last days of the CO/CP stock, I remember seeing a six-car train
made up of three two-car units, but I'd never noticed any in that
formation before.

The District stock plan after the C69 stock cascaded the bulk of the O/P
stock from the Circle and Hammersmith & City was formed in the days when
District trains were 6 or 8 cars.

--
Colin Rosenstiel- Hide quoted text -