Old January 13th 08, 08:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london
lonelytraveller lonelytraveller is offline

Default Redevelopment at Liverpool Street

On 13 Jan, 16:56, MIG wrote:
On 13 Jan, 16:49, MIG wrote:
On 13 Jan, 16:32, lonelytraveller wrote:
When it was first planned, Liverpool Street Central Line station was
to have direct-to-platform lifts (which is why the platforms are so
far apart), but just before it was built the plans were changed to use
escalators instead (these are probably the middle set of escalators,
each in their own shaft). However, they kept one of the lift shafts in
the plans, built it, but fitted it out with a spiral staircase.

Where is that spiral staircase?
Does it still exist?

I had a feeling I'd used one there, but it could be a figment of my

imagination.
I've found this pictu http://www.ltmcollection.org/images/...76/9865076.jpg
which seems to show some sort of stairs, but I can't work out how that
fits into the modern layout, or what it actually represents

There were always escalators at that end, but that exit wasn't always
open. There used to be single escalators, each in its own passage.

Rereading that bit, the escalators I was talking about were heading
northish, ie in the line direction towards Bethnal Green. I am sure
that they merely led to an exit nearer the Liverpool Street ticket
barriers, and nothing to do with Broad Street.

That's the middle set of escalators, until the 90s that side of
liverpool street mainline station didn't begin until much further
north, roughly where the northern ticket hall for the central line is
now (which is why that ticket hall is in that position). Here's a
photograph of the exterior before the 90s:
http://www.oldukphotos.com/graphics/England%20Photos/London,%20Liverpool%20Street%20Station%201920's.jp g
and the same view afterwards (at night) from a very similar point:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:L...rior_night.jpg

I don't remember any direct exit from the Underground to Broad Street.

Here's a picture of the entrance at the surface:
http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/s.../index50.shtml
Here's what it looked like from the inside:
http://www.ltmcollection.org/images/...70/9865070.jpg
and also (from the other direction): http://www.ltmcollection.org/images/best/72/9865072.jpg
I don't know how it fits together at platform level.