Old January 17th 08, 08:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Gatelines - relative numbers

On Jan 17, 12:12*am, John B wrote:
On 16 Jan, 21:09, Paul Corfield wrote:

I think SWT will simply work on the basis that they will have to accept
some "leakage" risk in the AM Peak which I believe is the only time the
steps and subways from the platforms are open.

It isn't [IMX all day weekdays and sometimes even at weekends], but it
doubtless will be once the barriers are imposed. Yay progress.

Given that SWT is going to introduce Oyster, leaving gaps at Waterloo
will presumably earn revenue, if every unresolved journey from Clapham
Junction is charged as an open single to Weymouth.

I can testify to how many people use the subway at all times of day,
but I assume that we'll end up with a London Bridge-type situation
were you have to go through two barriers in quick succession at the
end of the subway.

It would be extremely dangerous to have gates at the staircases, as
has been mentioned, but if there is room for LU barriers on one side
of the area that you come into at the end of the subway, I can't see
why there couldn't be SWT barriers on the other side of it.

It would be a pain, as it is at London Bridge, where I instinctively
put my travelcard back in my pocket and immediately take it out again.