Old January 18th 08, 10:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Last unpainted D Stock (last "silver" Underground train)

In article ,
() wrote:

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 18:26 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),
(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:

In article

,
() wrote:

The last unrefurbished D Stock train is scheduled to operate on
the District Line on 21st February 2007. This will bring to an end
the era of unpainted aluminium UndergrounD trains which first
began in 1949

Shame! In fact the first unpainted train entered service in 1952. The
original trial was of just one R49 car. I don't think that was as

early
as 1949 either. The R stock is another case of the years in the stock
codes representing more aspiration than fact. The programme to switch
all R stock trains to silver (mostly painted) wasn't completed until
1965.

How long did some carry a red strip down the sides, ending in a type
of whisker pattern on the ends ?
I can remember as a youngster of 6 being exited when a Silver train
approached as they seemed so different.I remember asking Dad why
there weren't any silver buses.

For the 8-car R49 train from entry into service (apart from the whisker
which seems to have been an early mod) until about 1965. The R59 stock
all entered service with red bands.

There was a silver bus, by the way, just the one RM.

--
Colin Rosenstiel