Old January 20th 08, 09:02 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default North London Line AC/DC question

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 01:33:07 -0800 (PST), Boltar
wrote:

On 20 Jan, 09:09, Paul Corfield wrote:
On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 00:09:28 GMT, wrote:
Why are they closing the Vic from 22.00 until 4 November, so that they can
test, tincker with and troubleshoot the 09 series trains?

BTW, when and where will it be possible to see one of those trains?

I have seen train one parked in the depot. It was sheer luck but I went
past on a 192 bus (starts from Tottenham Hale). It goes up Watermead Way
which rises above the Cambridge line and gives a good view of
Northumberland Park depot. If you opt to try this sit at the back of
the bus as you're higher up (it's only a little single deck).

IIRC there is also a footbridge from Watermead Way across the LU / NR
tracks but I think it is all caged so any view would be very restricted
or maybe even non existent. I've not used it myself.

I doubt very much, at this stage, that the public will be able to see
the V stock in test mode as it's all done under possession with no
public access. The latest LU intranet news about the Vic line early
closing said train 2 was due March / April time and it would enter
passenger service alongside 67 stock late 2008.

How will they integrate the 2 different ATO systems for when both
train types are running in service? Do the new trains have the old
system on board as well?

New trains are fitted with current system to allow migration of stock.
When all the 67 stock is gone then you have all V stock on the current
ATO and then migration to full "distance to go" signalling follows. I
have no idea if that will be done section by section or in a "big bang"
switch over. My guess would be section by section as the alternative is
possibly too risky. Central Line was done section by section IIRC.

--
Paul C