Old January 23rd 08, 10:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Steve Fitzgerald Steve Fitzgerald is offline

Default Picc Line train indicators display Heathrow Term 5

In message
,
Mizter T writes

Specifically catching a T123 & 5 train is what I've been led to
believe is best, from past discussions here, given the delay on a T4
train as it stands at T4 (incidentally is there a change of driver
here, or do you just get a break?). However I did read one post on the
District Dave forum (I think) that suggested that catching a via T4
loop train to reach T123 & 5 wasn't really a big deal.

To be honest, the benefit would be a few minutes only, but people will
always try and get there the quickest way. I can envisage a few anxious
people sat on a train at T4 when we stand for 7 minutes as they have cut
it fine for H123.

There is no change of driver at T4. WE just sit in the train/go for a
walk/PNR as we need to. If the train is running late, we're still
allowed 4 minutes stand anyway to be able to have a PNR (Personal Needs
Relief!)

There is a T4 train only every 10 minutes now.

I don't know the ins and outs of the Piccadilly timetable, but the TfL
journey planner certainly seems to suggest that there is also only a
10 minute service to T123 (for a journey from Hyde Park Corner at
around midday today).

Which is what I say below about information from different places
contradicting itself. All (Heathrow) trains do call at T123, just that
the T4 ones take about 10 minutes longer to get there.

If this is the case there could be problems if all passengers in
central London who want to go to T123 & 5 (when it opens) rather than
T4 wait for the appropriate train - the T4 loop trains could end up
rather empty and the others rather full. I'm sure you've all had such
discussions, but what's your take on that?

The T4 trains will actually display T4 & 123 as a destination; the T5
trains will show T123 & 5 as a destination.

Also (and this demonstrates my lack of Pic line operational
knowledge), is it worth getting a Rayners Lane train and changing at
Acton Town?

Very rarely. Occasionally a Heathrow train will be brought out of the
sidings, but it's more common for Heathrow trains to run through.

This has caused some discussion at work, as we've been told that all
trains should be described as a T123 (pending alterations to the
destination kit). This is at variance with the TfL website and the Train
Describers you've noticed. Discussions are continuing as many of us
maintain we should be sending a consistent message out to the travelling
public and trains should be described as to their correct destination
(ie T4 or T123 as appropriate).

I have to agree with you on that one. Getting two conflicting bits of
information is genuinely confusing. When might the destination kit on
the train get altered?

When T5 actually opens to the general public apparently.