Old January 24th 08, 10:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london, uk.railway
Yorkie Yorkie is offline

Default National Rail and Zones 7-9

On Jan 23, 5:55*pm, Mizter T wrote:
What would be good would be if National Rail systems were updated so
that they too could issue Travelcards that include zones 7-9. In a
sense they can, as they use the actual station description - but I'm
unclear whether such Travelcards that include actual stations as the
origin (or destination - but I think only origin is possible) can be
used for unlimited travel as opposed to just being valid for a
straight return journey.

In the days of Zones A-D, I was told that asking for an All Zones
travelcard issued *from* Amersham to Zones 1-6, would count as the NR
equivalent to All Zones + A-D, and this was the same price with a
railcard (GBP4.80) as a regular 'All Zones'.

We had no problems purchasing the tickets (at East Croydon). A friend
put this ticket through the barriers at Amersham, confident the ticket
would return as the system would know it was valid for unlimited trips
in Zones A-D, and he was correct; the ticket was returned and he was
able to use it to get back in through the barriers.

Does this mean that a Amersham to Zones 1-6 travelcard is now
effectively a Zones 1-9 travelcard? Or does it have the validity of
the old A-D?