Old January 24th 08, 11:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london, uk.railway
Andy Andy is offline

Default National Rail and Zones 7-9

On Jan 24, 11:16*am, "
wrote:
On Jan 24, 10:43 am, Paul Weaver wrote:

I was shocked at how busy the ~19:00 to Bletchley was, hardly anyone
got off at Harrow where I boarded (19:16), but I could barely fit in.
I've never had to stand on a train on that line before

I'd think that was the 19:04 which is the first cheap train by PAYG.
IIRC the 18:54 first stop is Watford Junction.

I been deliberately avoiding the 19:04 because I guessed it would be
packed.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a timetable alteration that moves this
train earlier by 4 (or 5) minutes.

(Of course, moving all the trains later by 10 minutes would also help
because then there would be a 19:04 and a 19:14)

However, you've been lucky if you've never had to stand. Those trains
are always busy. It's quieter from about the 19:54 through to about
21:54 then it starts getting busy again.

Tim.

The other problem with the 19.04 is that it is only four coaches,
whilst near all the other services are eight coaches at this time of
day. If the train was lengthened, then it would be comfortable. I'd
hope that this will happen from the December 2008 timetable or when
all the class 321s have been replaced by Desiros as finding a spare
unit will be slightly easier. The other problem with the 19.04 is that
is an all stations Watford - Bletchley and so a fair number of
passengers don't have an alternative train.

I use the 19.04 on occasion and I usually get a seat if I arrive just
after the 18.54 (which is first stop Harrow) has left. There are a
fair number of people who get off at Harrow, but not enough to leave
seats free for people who have been standing.